Sunday, May 25, 2008

Looking at the 四川 earthquake, and the charity show that's now showing whilst I am blogging, I can't help but find emotions welling in me.

However, there's something wrong. I compare myself with my friends, with the host and hostess, with the various "performers", I cant help but feel a bit cold and unfeeling. It is like I can't reach that kind of emotion?

Searching myself, I find myself a pragmatic. I think too much, I think about the hidden meanings, the hidden agendas.
Look at the various media hype about China, look at the various aid pouring in into China, dwarfing the amount of aid to Myanmar. I just can't help to think that countries are helping China more... because of economic reasons. Sorry to say, but Myanmar is of much lower economic concern to these countries than China.
This show is just a show to raise money, and to show China that Singapore care, so that will add another reason to why China should be on friendly ties with us.

To look even deeper, this incident might be more of a wake-up call, and I cannot help but shrug. The main contributing factors to such great destruction is blamed to poor and shoddy construction brought about by cost cutting measures. I feel that this earthquake is a way to alert and warn the Chinese not to take such important things for granted, and to look severely into these things dealing with basic infrastructure of the country.

Also, if you are media literate, you might just view this whole show as a tear jerker, tugging at your heartstrings... what other better way than to play up emotions in order to get the money out from you?

sorry but if I sound just too pragmatic and unfeeling. I do feel sad and stuff, but not too such extent.

maybe due to my past experience? or maybe because this stupid world of media has just made me cold and numb mmmmm ?

No comments:

Post a Comment