Sunday, November 06, 2011

Club Med

Was at Club Med Bintan from 011111 till 041111 with 5 of my army friends. I enjoyed myself - not as thoroughly as I would expect - but nonetheless it was a real holiday.
I think a real holiday is when you do not even bother about your handphone, when you are offline from the working world and you are with your friends chilling out at some holiday resort caring nothing other than when to fill the stomach or what to do to kill time. My handphone, much as I would "like" it to be, was sadly out of range of any phone line, hence was reduced to just an alarm clock for me. Not like I needed an alarm clock anyway either!


We tried out-of-the-ordinary sports such as the circus trapeze, archery and sailing. These are activities that I would love to try out, but is currently too financially taxing to try out comfortably. At least at Club Med I could afford to be at beginner mode at all times and not care a hoot about any additional money spilling out of my pocket just to get more time or more arrows and such.
For trapeze, it was basically holding onto this movable swinging pull up bar and trying to do inverted sit-ups, except you don't do the sit ups. I felt the fun part was just letting your body drop down to the safety net below and then bounce around.
For archery, it was easy to shoot, but not easy to aim. And my left arm was quickly drained in fatigue just holding up and stablising the bow. A fun sport, but only when your arm is not drained, and your confidence is not incessantly shot at by arrows that don't seem to go where you want it to.
But thanks to the bizarrely similiar weather as compared to Singapore's, our days were usually ruined by wash outs and we were kept indoors by unrelenting rain. And indoor, we spammed mahjong and cards. We tried out Saboteur 2 - which was in its nice unopened condition until I decided to just take it out as I spent $30+ not to just see the cards (or rather the box) in their original wrapping - and it was a whole lot of fun. There are additional interesting mechanisms which can seriously turn tables and change sides - literally. If anyone want a game of Saboteur, just call me and get some friends (optimally a group of minimally 6 people is best)!


But one the best things that Club Med offer is the unlimited booze. I thank the other guests who pay the full sum but do not enjoy the booze for helping to pay for my free booze! We tried as many types of cocktails and alcohols, and someone even got drunk. Not as bad as my other experience but still he suffered from vomitting and a knockout in the middle of the night. Hah, he was even snoozing at the toilet bowl - I had to go and flush the toilet or it will stink up the entire room! And there was this cocktail whose name was D.G.B.T.S.. guess what it is? It is quite an interesting name, but well it can't be helped ):


I also tried to sing KTV with yijun, and seriously it was damn fun! I dropped all my mental inhibitions and just belted out song after song after song, and even went for my own solo of "Country Road". The KTV had a good range of oldies that many people are surprised that I know (I grew up with Gold 90.5FM), and I really hoped that night could be extended so I could sing to my heart's content. (But my voice also died very fast) It was like a mini-dream come true to be able to just sing out and not give a hoot about others.
I think I really like performing and singing, even when my voice totally sucks. I am now trying to play a guitar, but singing... mmm I think it will be great to sing again!


Club med has an interesting concept of G.O.s, also affectionately known as "Gracious Officers". They are staff members who try to entertain you and keep your group company during your stay at Club Med. For instance, during your meals they will usually join your group - of course you need to keep an empty seat to show that you are not closing your doors to them. And when you are at the bar chilling out they may sometimes chat you up! Club Med seem to strive to make your stay really pleasant, friendly, warm and welcoming. Almost all the staff seem to be exuding auras of friendliness that many of us Asians might find it unnerving at first, as you have to keep a constant smile plastered on your face to reply any by passing staff.


The G.O.s have a tough job, and a job that is very similiar to my current job now in SAF. First of all, they stay-in, meaning they stay at their workplace in the in-house dormitory throughout a 6-day work week (last day is their off). Second, they are allocated with specific jobs just like how some of us sergeants are assigned to take care of the armskote, or take care of teaching a certain lesson etc. On top of their assigned job, they have to still keep entertaining guests in their free time - something like a company line sergeant having to keep company with the recruits during their break time and stuff. Next, their lodging and food is all taken care of by the company, so they can save on their food - similiar to being in the SAF and eating cookhouse food all day (only difference is the vast difference in quality, quantity, variety and taste) And their pay is surprisingly low! I am not trying to be biased against Club Med, but for all the effort put in by each G.O. I felt that the sum was really little. Maybe that it is how Club Med is able to maintain the free flow of food, alcohol and activities? But almost each G.O. I met was so passionate about their job that they cited that the salary was not of such great importance as we deem it to be. The opportunities to meet and work with people of all walks of life are many in this job, and many seem to love to be paid less financially to get paid more emotionally and mentally.
Can you tell me whether you would like to be paid below SGD$2k for a full-time job in a 6-day work week where you have a specific job in the day like bartending or maintaining a sport, maintain that jovial mood in meeting up customers, trying to make friends with the customers by remembering their names and even playing with their kids, put up sizzling, high energy performances at night then go for late night rehearsals for the performance the next day? You are practically working from 7am to 1+am for 6 days in a row, and to quote one guy: "I have to take off the last (seventh) day or else I can feel my body breaking down".
Some benefits though: you get to travel overseas as you are posted to other Club Med resorts. Of course food and lodging is covered, but is SGD$2k/month enough for you to settle down at home - unless you want to work at Club Med all your life?


So it is really the passion to serve and meet people that make the 20-odd strong staff decide to work at Club Med. I feel it is a really engaging and fun job to be in, but it has its drudgery too.




So yes, if Club Med wanted us to enjoy ourselves in their resort. I have to agree. You have to really go there with an open mind and open heart, and let your inhibitions go. You have to be willing to just try new things and not stick to the old ways, such as doing things you think might be "pussy" or "awkward" or "shy" or just "funny". Break down your inhibitions, and you will realise you will enjoy your time much better there. Of course, bring willing company who are also daring, and not conservative people who just want to do the "usual".


And I think this can be applied to now. If you can't please anyone, at least please yourself!
and I want to sing again... 
(: